Saturday, November 9, 2013

Reduce REUSE Recycle - DIY Fabric Softener


A big part of the "Doing Small Things with a Big impact" includes reducing our consumption and reusing what we can.  I have been pinning homemade fabric softener recipes for MONTHS and finally decided it was time to actually do it.  Two things happened.  First, I learned that commercial fabric softeners are literally toxic and full of chemicals that leach into our bodies over the time that we wear them.  Second, it took me all of 7 minutes to make about 24oz and it cost less than $2.00 because I chose to use a Fair Trade All Natural Conditioner rather than a cheap chemically laden conditioner.  I made two batches.  

The first batch I reused a fancy old french lemonade bottle and made a really pretty custom label.  It turned out so well, I was afraid no one would believe that I made it.  So the second batch I put in an old white vinegar bottle I saved and put a masking tape label on it to show that it doesn't have to be in a fancy container in order for you to make this at home.  It's the exact same stuff regardless of the container or label and it's so easy to make,

So here's what you will need:


1.  Ingredients and Tools
-Distilled White Vinegar
-Water (I chose to use distilled)
-Conditioner (preferably an organic one with few ingredients).
-Optional Essential Oils for scent if the conditioner isn't scented
-Optional 2 table spoons of baking soda
-Mixing Bowl
-Wisk
-Measuring Cup (1 cup, and 1/3 cup)
-A way to heat the water






2.  Heat up 3 cups of Water.  I used an electric kettle but you can use the microwave or stove.






3.  Mix 1 cup of Distilled White Vinegar, 1/3 cup of conditioner, and 3 cups of water.  Also add the optional essential oils and baking soda.











4.  Wisk all the Ingredients together.
















5.  Choose the desired containers.  Any old container can be used.  I prefer glass because it's non-toxic and won't leach toxins like plastic containers over time.













6.  Fill and Label the desired containers.

7.  Use two tablespoons per load of laundry.












Conclusion: You will be so glad you started doing this.  Here's why:

1.  You have just eliminated a significant number of chemicals entering your body and the water system.  Remember, what is created here on earth stays on earth.  It's a closed loop system folks.
2.  I got to reuse a few of my saved bottles.  I kept the vinegar bottle with the masking tape and I gave the fancy one to my neighbor.
2.  It works from what I can tell.  Are you going to get that same overpowering scented, slightly greasy "softness"?  No, and for that I am grateful.  What I did get was a soft scent of coconut from the conditioner and a light softness minus the greasy feeling.
3.  It was so fast and easy to make that I think it actually SAVED me time.  In the store, it's going to take me approximately 5-10 minutes by the time I read the labels, sigh from all the chemicals, find it in the right aisle, lug it home, put it away...I started buying white distilled vinegar in bulk years ago.  I happened to have some conditioner I wasn't crazy about except the smell was really nice and water...well, that's easy.
4.  Consider buying White Distilled Vinegar, Baking Soda, Epsom Salts, Coconut oil and Olive Oil in Bulk.  Then you always have it on hand for making nearly every basic household cleaner or body product ever.  The rest you can get later as you need it.
5.  Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas?  Up next, homemade Laundry Soap (maybe).  This makes a really nice and easy hostess gift or thank you gift.

Good Luck and I would love your feedback!  Have fun being DIY Green!

No comments:

Post a Comment